August 3, 2010

PowerPoint Reflection

The most impressive element that I saw during the PowerPoint presentations in our class was the jeopardy game. I have heard that they are fairly easy to make, but I have never done one before and think that they are fun. I think that I would attempt to use PowerPoint to play Jeopardy in the future, although I would make sure to have my own list of the questions and answers for reference. 

The only thing that I noticed that could definitely use improvement was the legibility of the text on some slides. A few people used dark text over a dark background which could not be read easily. Thankfully, this is very easy to fix for the future. Many of the people who had this problem said that they could read the text on their laptop and that it looked different when projected. I think that this demonstrates the importance of doing a trial-run of all presentations at the location of the presentation to avoid such pitfalls.

After watching the other presentations, I think that I would improve my own by making it more interactive. I think I might include a Ms. Harrison Trivia slide at the end. I would have the students answer various questions about me (some from the presentation), and whoever got the best score would win a prize. This would get the audience more engaged, and hopefully make things a bit more fun.

I think PowerPoints are great when they are used appropriately. They're a good way to consolidate the visual information from a lesson into one convenient show. However, when they are used too much, they become boring very quickly. Also, if a teacher relies too heavily on PowerPoint, one technical problem could pose a huge problem--an entire lesson could go out the window if the teacher did not have a backup plan.

1 comment:

  1. That would be fun to make powerpoints interactive, I would like to do that too. I liked your presentation with the video of your puppy! Nice job Lynsey!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?